Monday, March 2, 2015

Geraldine Strader - Letter From Jacqueline Pierson Tomlin

Jacqueline Pierson Tomlin and Geraldine Strader (front)
There's nothing like the words of a friend. Jacqueline shared detailed memories of Mother in her impact statement to the Judge, in hopes that he understands that this senseless act robbed not just the family, but neighbors, friends, and the Kansas City, KS community. 

One thing that was taken away from us that day was Mother's cheerful way of sharing desserts and coffee with anyone who stopped by. As other's have mentioned, the Strader household had an open-door policy. I'm sadden that Joshua Brazeal (of Kansas City, Kansas) and his passenger Brianna Marshall (of Independence. MO) did not get to know the person that was taken away from us by the reckless driving and decision to flee police.

I've shared below just a few of the paragraphs that Jacqueline shared with the Judge so that he might know who was taken away from us and the impact Geraldine Strader had on our lives. Jackie describes it best when she states the following:
"Her death was senseless and tragic and her absence has affected so many people adversely. I am personally overwhelmed with sadness."

Wyandotte District Court Probation Department Victim Impact Statement
Jacqueline Pierson Tomlin
RE: Case#: 2014-CR-000818
Defendant: Joshua Jay Brazeal
Your Honor:  Thank you for allowing me to express the pain, devastation and sense of loss that I feel since the needless, senseless death of my friend, Geraldine Strader.  Geraldine, her husband, Harold, three sons, Lance, Todd, and Rhett and her daughter Kathleen moved into the Monticello Heights neighborhood shortly after my family.  One home separated our houses and she and my mother, Nellie Pierson, became friends almost instantly.  I was in high school, so I have known Mrs. Strader and her family for almost 50 years.  Geraldine Strader was a vibrant woman…full of life, with a beautiful smile that made you smile just to see it. She was a dedicated wife, and mother. Family was so important to her and she treated her friends as her extended family.  She watched me grow into womanhood and then my children into adults.  My son still talks about the pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing that she would make especially for him….not for any special occasion, but just because she loved him.  She baked cookies for my son, daughter and nephew every Christmas, when they were children.  They waited with eager anticipation to receive those Christmas Tins filled with homemade cookies.  She continued sending them cookies as adults in their respective cities of residence.  That’s the kind of person that Geraldine Strader was and we miss her terribly. Christmas is not the same without her smile and warmth.  She demonstrated that “it is more blessed to give than to receive” because she lived it with grace and ease.  We miss her and long to see her and hear her voice again.

Geraldine Strader, probably in the late '60's NE Junior High School
Wearing a jacket that she designed. 
Mrs. Strader was an educator (over 40 years in the KCK school system) and before it was, “in vogue”, Geraldine managed job, husband and children, and made it look easy.  She was a very talented woman, speaking French and Spanish fluently and could make a dress, coat or suit that looked like it came off of a Designer Rack.  She was sought after to make breathtaking wedding dresses and the ensembles for the wedding party.  She made some of the most beautiful formal dresses for me. When I look at them in my closet, I think of her and I just cannot believe that she is gone.  I grew up in Kansas City, Kansas, however, my sister, mother and I moved from Kansas City in 2011 after the death of my husband.   Geraldine had just come down to see us in April to celebrate my mother’s 90th birthday.  She stayed with us for a week and spoke of her long friendship with my mother, so eloquently at her reception.  She told of how she and my mother drank coffee every morning, at our house, in their robes.  She reflected fondly on when her grandchildren came in the summer, how she and my mother watched their grandchildren and the neighborhood kids play in our swimming pool.  Life was good.  Geraldine was a part of our family and we were a part of hers.  Little did I know how I would cherish those last days that she spent with us.  She was always planning and wanting to see and do new things.  
Thank you Jacqueline for your memories and words of comfort. We know you share our lost.

The Children of Geraldine Strader
justice4strader@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment